"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gunna get." - Forest Gump
This iconic line resonants with all of us, only exception is that the chocolates are more like lessons - some are bitter, and some are sweet, but in either case, lessons infuse the cornerstone of existence. As humans, we are here to learn and grow. Every experience teaches us something, and if it is not cognitively recognized, we repeat the experience as different scenarios until the lesson is learned.
I am a big proponent of understanding this early in life because it will make the rest of our time here much more enjoyable. Near-death experiences have been described as being encompassed with the feelings of joy and love. If that is the case, then why do we battle with hardship in this life? The only conclusion I can draw upon is to learn and appreciate the lessons.
Our spirits chose to have a human experience and with that comes a plethora of obstacles that are constantly challenging us. However, to help guide your journey, here are 10 simple reminders that make the whole process just a little easier.
10 Rules for Being Human
by Cherie Carter-Scott
1. You will receive a body. You may like it or hate it, but it's yours to keep for the entire period.
2. You will learn lessons. You are enrolled in a full-time informal school called, "life."
3. There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trial, error, and experimentation. The "failed" experiments are as much a part of the process as the experiments that ultimately "work."
4. Lessons are repeated until they are learned. A lesson will be presented to you in various forms until you have learned it. When you have learned it, you can go on to the next lesson.
5. Learning lessons does not end. There's no part of life that doesn't contain its lessons. If you're alive, that means there are still lessons to be learned.
6. "There" is no better a place than "here." When your "there" has become a "here", you will simply obtain another "there" that will again look better than "here."
7. Other people are merely mirrors of you. You cannot love or hate something about another person unless it reflects to you something you love or hate about yourself.
8. What you make of your life is up to you. You have all the tools and resources you need. What you do with them is up to you. The choice is yours.
9. Your answers lie within you. The answers to life's questions lie within you. All you need to do is look, listen, and trust.
10. You will forget all this.