The east coast has been hit with the worst storm in over 100 years with 33 people confirmed dead as of 10am PST. Millions of residents are without power, and it is estimated there are billions of pounds worth of damage. Our hearts and prayers go out to those affected by Sandy, and we encourage all of Gen Y to donate what they can to the rescue efforts.
The following is a list of updates as news emerges and damages are assessed.
- The White House declares Hurricane Sandy in New York a "major disaster"
- 33 people confirmed dead as a result of the storm
14th Street NY
Battery Park Underpass
- 80 to 100 homes destroyed in Breeze Point, Queens Borough from a storm induced fire
Breeze Point, Queens Borough, NY
Manhattan, Damaged Crane
- New Jersey Oyster Creek nuclear power plant on high alert due to rising tide
PATH Station, Hoboken, NJ
- One dead and captain still missing from stricken HMS Bounty replica ship
- Blizzard is reported in parts of West Virginia, Maryland and North Carolina with 2-3 feet of snow expected
- 8 million+ reporting power outages
- Hurricane Sandy is moving inland toward Illinois. Lake Michigan is already showing the effects of the storm with choppy waters.